Goecha La Trek is nature’s paradise in Sikkim, a perfect trekking destination offering the majestic view of Himalayas at an altitude of 15,100ft. The total trekking distance is 90km. The difficulty level of the trek is moderate. Goecha La trek offers you the alluring beauty of mountains and you can spot various peaks as well as Mt. Kanchenjunga, Talung, Rathong, Juno and many others. The best time to visit April to May and September to November. For experiencing the snow visit till early May.
In summers the temperature ranges from 15°C to 22°C and in September the temperature ranges from 10 °C to 15 °C. Avoid visiting during the monsoon season due to slippery trek and landslides.
Best Time: April To May and September to November
Difficulty Level: Moderate to Difficult
Distance: 90km total trekking distance
How to Reach
The New Jalpaiguri Railway station is the nearest railway station in south Sikkim. It is 150km away from Yuksom. If you are coming to any northeast state try to take any northeast train which goes directly to New Jalpaiguri station.
Bagdogra is the nearest airport, after reaching there you can hire a taxi/cab to reach Yuksom.
About the Trail
Here are some of the Key Highlights of the Goecha La Trek, that makes the place special:
- The trail starts from Yuksom, which is the prominent destination of Sikkim. Sikkim has a rich culture and tradition. One can explore the place and can interact with locals to make the experience memorable.
- The mountain peaks covered with snow are very fascinating, Mt. Kanchenjunga. The amazing lush green landscape and picturesque scenery are breathtaking.
- Spotting other peaks like Mt. Pandim, Kabru, Rohtang. It as an amazing Experience to embrace the beauty of multiple mountain peaks in one place.
- The trek is perfect for nature lovers, the lush green grassland and the variety of wildlife makes the trek a complete place for trekking.
Goechela trek is a popular trekking destination in Sikkim with its amazing view of mountain peaks, the beautiful scenery, rhododendron trees, and blooming flowers add up to the beauty of the place. The minimum age 13years to visit Goecha La trek and the maximum age varies from person to person according to their physical fitness.
Preparation for the Best Experience
It is very important to keep in mind that physical fitness and mental fitness plays a major role. Train your body to complete the trek without any difficulty. Exercise daily, walk, run, cycling. Do some cardio for muscle training, it will help you a lot and prevents stains on your muscle when you will climb. To train your mind to practice yoga and pranayama to deal with anxiety, stress and in dealing with other issues.
On the way to Goecha La, you will be stopping at so many villages and going to experience different cultures and traditions of each place. This is such an overwhelming experience to experience the culture and tradition of so many places during one trek. Travel offers you to experience so much new and different that one can not aspire to. Yuksom, Bhakim, Phedang, Dzongri and many more villages in your way. The hospitality of the village people is so pleasing and warming, it will win your hearts.
You will be reaching Yuksom at an altitude of 5700ft. There are some rules that are to be followed, the foreigners need to have a special permit to trek in Sikkim. From Yuksom to Sachen it is 8km, it will take 6hours to reach at an altitude of 7200ft. The trail is a mixture of a steep and gentle climb. Enjoy at your campsite with a bonfire and gazing at stars.
Leave for the Tshoka via Bakhim, it is 7km trek at an altitude of 8600ft to 9700ft.you will spotting peaks like Mt Pandim, Tenzinkhay. Passing by the trees of Rhododendron and alpine berries.
You will be trekking Tsokha to Dzongri at an altitude of 12980ft.it is 9km and it takes 7hours to reach. The path is zigzag and uneven so be careful while walking. From the top of Dzongri at a height of 13,675ft, you will be spotting peaks like Frey peak, Kumbakarna, Kabru South, Kabru North, Jupono, Pandim, Simro.
Dzongri to Thansing it takes 6hours to complete 10km and reach an altitude of 12900ft. Walking through green grassland.
Thansing to Lamuney and Lamuney to Goechela it is 22km which takes 15 hours to complete in total and it can be completed in two days.
Reaching at Goechela at an altitude of 15,100ft gives you the astonishing view of the Himalayas and other peaks. Enjoy your time and beauty of the place, then descend back to Yuksom.
Things to Carry
- Thermal inner-wear and inner pants to keep you warm.
- Comfortable trekking pants
- Fleece jacket
- Down jacket
- Waterproof windbreaker
- Pair of woolen socks
- Warm hat
- Sun cap
- Sunglasses and sunscreen
- Waterproof gloves
- Portable charger
- Camera and extra batteries
- A small bottle of shampoo
- Facial mist
- Toothpaste and toothbrush
- Lip balm and wipes
- Sleeping bag
- Trekking shoes and trekking pole
- First aid box with all the necessary medicines
- Toilet paper
- Important Documents
- Do not litter around, keep your surroundings clean.
- Carry all your necessary medications with you along with basic medicines that are required for mountain sickness, motion sickness, and other possible situations.
- Consumption of Alcohol and other toxic substance is not advisable.
- Please take care of your own luggage.
- Keep yourself hydrated throughout the trek.
- Listen to the guidance of the trek leader carefully.
- Carry warm clothes irrespective of seasons.
- Carry all your necessary documents with you such as voter id, license, passport size photo and others that are required.